Sunday 19 October 2008

Groan

Letters From a Tory is the inaugural winner of Pun of the Week, a new, regular...OK, we'll skip that.

Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches.

I admitted to not knowing what a 'hopolophobe' was (to be honest, as phobias go, it isn't the most talked about phobia in today's media). I am now doubting that the above is even a pun. Is it even ironic? After the furore over Alanis Morrisette's 'Ironic' song, where at least 90% of the instances she cites weren't, in fact, ironic, am I falling into the same trap?

I am also concerned about a possible over-use of commas and apostrophes.

UPDATE: I have just realised there is no such bank as 'Bonsai Bank'. I blame the beer and the late hour, not any innate racist assumptions about what the Nips might call their banks. Sorry, I meant Japanese. Sorry.

No comments: